Friday, January 16, 2009

Fish Escape

 
Posted by Picasa
The above pictures are the types of fish that I have or had in my aquarium...

Last Monday night Jared and I decided to clean out the fish tank.  By "cleaning out" we mean a deep clean where we had to take almost everything out in order to get to the rocks.  We decided to put the fish in the same pot that we use for crabitat cleaning (my hermit crabs).  So in go the fish one at a time.  They were extremely hard to catch and it took me and Jared forever to catch them all!  Eventually they were all in the fish pot.  But where to put the fish pot??  

On the stove.

We slowly carried the fish into the kitchen and put them on the stove.  We thought that would be a safe place for them because Jared and I were running about getting supplies, water, and running out the back to pour out dirty water...

Sometime during the cleaning process Big Red sensed freedom and decided to escape.  Jared says he can imagine the other fish daring and double-dog daring him to jump out of the pot to freedom.  Maybe he was trying to make it to the sink...  I'm remembering that quote from the movie Finding Nemo; something about all drains leading to the ocean.  Anyway whatever his reasons were, we think he jumped out of the pot.  Maybe he did make it to the sink (I doubt it).  But wherever he is, he is gone.  We can't find him.

Yes, we checked the stove burners, we checked the cabinets under the stove, we checked all over the kitchen floor, we checked under the rugs, we even took our serving spoons out of the pitcher beside the stove and checked in that!!  No fish.  We checked all in our bedroom where the fish tank is.  We checked all of the places we had been in the house during the fish cleaning.  No Big Red.

So where Big Red is, we know not.  I hope one:  he's not in the house;  two:  if he's in the house he doesn't stink;  and three:  if he's in the house, I hope Jared finds him... hee hee!!

But it's been over a week.  Our house doesn't stink like fish and no one has seen Big Red.  The other fish are alive and happy and seem to be enjoying their new clean tank.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lovin' that story! We used to have a salt water aquarium and had a pretty good sized shark in it. (Note the word "had"). It was right to the left of Parker's bedroom door. One morning I went to his room to get him up and remember stepping on something "rubbery" wrapped up in a blanket beside his door. You guessed it - the shark had jumped out of the tank in the night, wrapped himself in the blanket, and I was "lucky" enough to find it!! UGH - it was nasty!!!

Sandy said...

You are too funny!! So no Big red yet? That is crazy. Where could that fish have gone! Maybe he made into the drain but I'm thinking if he did the ocean wasn't were he ended up!!!

Sandy said...

I really need to check my writing before I post comments!!

Mindy said...

We have a fish tank, too, and we love it! I'm so glad you put pictures of your fish on here. Very nice. RIP Big Red. We've lost a couple fish, too. I mean, lost them. Same sort of story. They just seem to disappear sometimes, never to be found again. Weird. Anyway, I hope the others aren't missing their friend, too much. :)

PS. I'm flattered that you borrowed the comments blinkie. Honestly, I stole it from some stranger's blog! Haha. I'm more than honored that you get ideas from my blog, and really appreciate the kind compliments. :)