Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Family of Sharp Shooters


Our time in Oklahoma has flown by and soon we will be heading to Alabama to spend Christmas with our other family.  We will stop by to see Nana in Arkansas.  That will be fun because I haven't seen her in awhile.  I feel so blessed to have had so much time to spend in Oklahoma, but I always get a little sad when it comes to an end.  I wish so badly that we could live a little closer to my family so that we could see them more often.

We all definitely took advantage of the time we had together.  Some things we did besides doing all the Christmas stuff were:  We went to look at Rema's Christmas light display...



We played games (Phase 10, Sequence, Scrabble...)


We ate like pigs and watched a lot of movies (Elf, Christmas Story, White Christmas, Iron Man, Horton Hears a Who, Dark Knight, Monster's Inc...)

I made jewelry with some of the beading things I got from my Mom and Dad for Christmas... 


We shopped a little and even went to Starbucks!!!  Momma and I have also been making cards.  I'm making Valentine's Day cards and Mom is making Winter cards...



We also did something very very memorable this Christmas...

"A Family of Sharp Shooters"
What comes to your mind when you hear that there is a place called "Happy Hollow"?  Maybe you think of a nice wooded park where you and your family could go and have a picnic.  Maybe there are trails and a big field to throw a ball in.  Overall it would be quiet right?
Wrong.
The Happy Hollow we went to was a gun range!!  It did have lots of trees and there were families out there with young children, but it most definitely was not QUIET!!!


We decided to shoot some of our pistols at this place because it was more laid back and it was cheaper than taking five people to the Tulsa firearms gun range.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I did not feel laid back when I got there!!  As we pulled out onto the highway, Dad started to relay the different rules to us about when we can shoot and when we can't, etc. etc.  He talked about the guy who would tell us what to do and how they were watching us at all times.  He said we needed to treat the official on guard like the "superior being" and obey his commands at once or they'd kick us out!!  Once we pulled into the range I heard loud thunderous noises from guns that might as well have been cannons!!!  It was very intimidating for a girl that is used to shooting coke cans in her Nana's cow pasture!  Once in, I immediately put my "ears" on to protect my hearing!!  Every time a gun went off I would jump!  I felt ridiculous!!  Daddy set me up in the wrong place to start out with.  When the guy told us that the "line was hot" my entire family lined up and started to shoot at their targets!!  I was left standing there jumping and dodging shells!  Daddy came over and set me up, but everyone was shooting at the same time I was and that made me jump.  I also felt like the brass shells flying out of my family's guns were going to hit me....  I had to take a major break.  After a little bit I got used to the noise and the shells and I wanted to try and shoot again.  Daddy set me up to the left of everyone so I wouldn't get hit by any shells!  I actually shot a few rounds out of the 9mm and I did really, really well at hitting the bulls eye!  I almost hit it every time!!  Watch out bad guys!  Don't mess with me!!


*Sigh*
Good times.  After we eat lucky beans (black eyed peas) tomorrow we will start our trek to Southern country.  I don't know how often I'll get to blog at Jared's house.  There is a lot of demand for the internet and so I might just wait until I get back home. :o)  I miss all my friends though and I love reading about how you and your families are spending your holiday together!  Take care!!

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Look at you!!! You have been busy. The cards and jewelry look great!!

Stephanie said...

I guess I never imagined you with a gun - you looked like a pro!!! Glad you are having a good time. Have a safe rest-of-the-trip!!!

Becky W said...

You are just Miss Crafty!!! Love the jewelry and cards. You are doing well! Can't wait for you all to be back!